A gender-specific addiction treatment program allows men and women to share similar life experiences in a safe environment. A growing body of evidence shows that gender-specific treatment programs provide support and empowerment while allowing men and women to speak freely in areas of anger, spousal abuse, children, family responsibilities, and other topics that tend to impact the sexes differently. If you are considering gender-specific treatment for addiction treatment, Atlanta Detox Center in Atlanta, Georgia, has qualified therapists who specialize in this area who are ready to assist you in your recovery. Call 833.631.0534 for treatment.
Benefits of Gender-Specific Treatment
Typically, men and women have different needs and expectations when it comes to substance abuse treatment programs. Both sexes work with experienced staff members at Atlanta Detox Center to determine a recovery plan that would meet their specific needs. For example, some single parents require outpatient treatment due to lack of childcare, while others wish to continue their education and work schedule as they struggle to continue their recovery.
The benefits of gender-specific treatment include the following:
- Emotional needs – We address the unique emotional, physiological, and relationship needs of each gender.
- Bonding – Women respond particularly well to gender-specific programs. They often form strong bonds with their peers and find the strength to open up about trauma in their lives.
- Fewer distractions – When men and women get together, it’s easy to get caught up in sexual tension and gender roles, jeopardizing recovery.
- Supportive therapy – Men and women both tend to respond positively to gender-specific group therapy separated by gender. They may feel more open and willing to participate in constructive therapy sessions.
Men’s Program for Addiction Treatment in Atlanta
Men often use drugs and alcohol to cope with behavioral problems or to improve negative thoughts and feelings. They may be able to relax and relate to shared experiences in male-only group sessions.
Our men’s detox center addresses the following challenges faced by male clients:
- Anger and aggression
- Sexual problems
- Lying about addiction and other habits
- Work-related stress
- Emotional withdrawal
- Compulsive behavior
Many men feel they have more in common with other men than women in recovery. Our men’s rehab program allows them to open up and support each other in group therapy. Additionally, men may hesitate in mixed groups because they don’t want to appear weak.
Men’s Needs in Detox
Men and women have different needs in detox as well. This derives from the different social expectations of men and women. While attending gender-specific detox programs, men can open up and show their vulnerability. This is particularly important in the crucial first steps of recovery. In our men’s detox program, we encourage men to express their emotions, desires, and needs honestly.
Women’s Program for Addiction Treatment in Atlanta
Gender-specific treatment for women allows women to open up without fear or embarrassment. Women who have experienced sexual or physical abuse from men may have post-traumatic stress disorder and respond poorly to group therapy in a mixed environment.
Our women’s rehab program accounts for the following differences in women:
- Women are more likely to welcome mental health counseling than men.
- Women often have less financial independence and may be less confident than their male counterparts.
- Women have unique medical concerns when it comes to pregnancy and related issues.
- As the primary caregivers in most families, women may need more flexibility in addiction treatment options.
Women’s Needs in Detox
Women benefit from the help and support of other women in a safe environment. They can also feel free to discuss shared experiences that include gender issues in the workplace, motherhood, and family-related topics. Many women with substance use disorders have suffered from violence and trauma. Additionally, they are more likely to have experienced sexual assault. Our women’s detox center addresses the unique medical and psychological needs of women.
Enroll in the Gender-Specific Addiction Treatment Program at Atlanta Detox Center
You don’t have to go through detox and recovery from substance abuse alone. At Atlanta Detox Center in Atlanta, Georgia, we have curated programs to meet the needs of both sexes and each individual. If you want to know more about the advantages of gender-specific drug and alcohol addiction treatment, contact us by calling 833.631.0534 or completing our confidential online contact form.