Approximately 9.2 million people in the world use heroin. This is a form of opioid and also a product of morphine which is a natural extract from the seeds of poppy plants. Heroin can either be brown or white. The common consumption methods are snorting and injecting it directly into the bloodstream. Once you are an addict, overcoming it can be challenging. Heroin withdrawal symptoms usually complicate the quitting journey. The withdrawal can be very uncomfortable to the extent of causing a relapse by the patient. However, numerous medications and addiction treatment therapies exist to help addicts recover.
At Atlanta Detox Center, our team is standing by to provide heroin withdrawal help in our heroin detox center. We have the knowledge and expertise to guide you or someone you care about begin the road to recovery from heroin addiction. Contact Atlanta Detox Center today by calling 833.631.0534 or completing our online form to learn more about how we can help you or a loved one overcome heroin withdrawal.
Heroin is a delicate drug, and it is not easy to tell what amount is safe and which is excessive. Inexperienced users will only need a small amount to get high. A little bit more of the drug, and they may end up overdosing. Long-term users may require larger doses to get high due to their high tolerance levels.
An overdose on heroin is unintentional in most cases. Users only become aware once they start experiencing the adverse effects of excessive consumption. The most common sign of an overdose is slow breathing. In some cases, the breathing stops altogether. The patients may slip into a coma and then death eventually in a short period.
People exhibiting heroin withdrawal symptoms are vulnerable to overdoses. Stopping the use of heroin for a long time creates a craving. In addition to the craving, the user may also experience other unpleasant symptoms. These two factors may lead to a relapse. Once they relapse, they may be overzealous in their consumption of the drug to get high quickly. It is at this point that the chances of overdosing increase significantly.
Heroin Withdrawal Symptoms
Becoming aware of heroin withdrawal symptoms increases your probability of making a recovery at a drug detox center. Awareness enables you to understand what is happening to your body. You can then seek help if the withdrawal becomes unbearable instead of relapsing.
Some of the common heroin withdrawal symptoms include:
- Severe itching of the body – The itching makes the patient scratch themselves vigorously. They may retain the scratch marks on their bodies.
- Slipping into “on the nod state” – These are cycles of being conscious and semi-conscious
- Veins collapse – This condition occurs in people who inject the drug.
- Associated mental health disorders – Common mental health disorders include depression and antisocial tendencies.
- Reproductive issues – Erectile dysfunction may occur in long-term male users. For females, their menstrual cycles may become irregular.
- Organ damage – Infections on the heart’s lining and valves are possible for people who use heroin. They may also develop lung complications, including pneumonia.
Treatment for Overdose Cases
It is possible to treat heroin overdoses using various medications. These medications bind rapidly to the opioid receptors and can block the effects of heroin. The crucial thing to observe is time and professionalism. You should seek immediate help at a drug and alcohol detox center for yourself or your loved one if you suspect they are overdosing. You should only seek this help from professionals who can handle heroin overdoses.
Treatment at Atlanta Detox Center
This center is fully licensed to handle opioid addiction cases. It has a variety of treatment centers which include:
- Heroin detox center: Heroin detox facilities help you flush the opioids from your bloodstream. Medications are available to help cope with the heroin withdrawal symptoms.
- Men’s detox center: For males, this is a facility that helps them get over heroin addiction. There will be little or no interference from the other gender to improve your focus on the recovery.
- Women’s detox center: A female-only facility. It will help you recover among fellow women who will also act as your support system.
- Drug detox center: This is an all-inclusive plan that seeks to help remove drug and alcohol toxins from patients’ systems. Our detox center staff works tirelessly to ensure you lead a healthy life now and in the future.
Overcome Heroin Withdrawal Symptoms at Atlanta Detox Center
You should not feel as if addiction ensnares you to a miserable life forever, nor should you let the fear of heroin withdrawal symptoms stop you from finding help today. Although it may be intimidating, recovery is possible. When you reach out for the help of addiction treatment professionals, you are setting yourself up for long-term success in recovery.
Our Atlanta Detox Center team is ready to help you or someone you care about endure potentially painful withdrawal symptoms as safely and comfortably as possible. Also, people who enroll for treatment in a heroin detox center have a lower risk for relapse in the future. Learn more about our heroin detox or heroin addiction treatment programs today by calling 833.631.0534 or completing our online form.